We got home yesterday around noon, and Ryan was doing well until just a bit ago when he threw up his Tylenol and formula. He was throwing up in the hospital on Tuesday and Wednesday (he was fine Thurs and Fri) and I told the doctor and nurses then I was concerned he may have another ileus which is a small bowel obstruction where the intestines basically stop moving. This can be a side effect, although not common, after being under general anesthesia. The only treatment is bowel rest until it decides to “wake up”. He had an ileus in November after getting the stomach flu and becoming very dehydrated. I’m sure some of you remember he was hospitalized at Children’s Hospital for three days at that time. It is very concerning that he could have another ileus because he threw up immediately after we fed him today which is exactly what he was doing in November. Needless to say, it is very concerning as the last thing we want is to go back to Omaha for another hospitalization. We would greatly appreciate your prayers right now.
It’s been a tough transition coming home and to be very honest, Travis and I are already struggling. Ryan continues to have many seizures which is very hard to watch. We have not seen any of the big drop seizures which is exactly what the surgery was supposed to eliminate but the small, simple partial seizures that we knew would not go away are abundant like usual. We have known these seizures will never go away but it has been harder than either of us imagined to see his seizures knowing there is now nothing we can do to help him. Unless medical science comes up with something new, we are done. It’s been very tough mentally and emotionally. And now we are very worried about another ileus. Please pray with us that his bowels will work correctly so we don’t have to be hospitalized; it would basically be for IV fluids. I don’t know that any of us in the family are up for that again, and so soon. I promise to keep you all upated.